What Issues Can a Lost Crown Lead to?
If your dental crown comes out of place, you will want to know the best methods to protect your tooth. Dental crowns can pop off due to tooth decay, trauma, and even bruxism. Even though a crown falling out can be alarming, our team at Made Ya Smile Rayford, TX is here to help. We will evaluate your tooth to determine the correct course of action to improve your smile at our Spring, TX dental practice. We might also assess the tooth to discover why it came out, allowing us the most ideal course of action to avoid harmful bacteria from accessing the inner cavity of the tooth. In short, you must care for the tooth underneath promptly before it can become more challenging to rectify.
What to do if your dental crown falls off
As soon as a crown has fallen out, follow these instructions to best protect your tooth:
- Take the crown out of your mouth: Try not to swallow it. Once you take out your crown, place it in a clean cloth to bring to our facility.
- Reach out to an emergency care dental practitioner: Call Made Ya Smile Rayford, TX to arrange an emergency appointment to have your dental crown repaired.
- Make use of temporary filling material: A temporary filling serves to protect your tooth before your dental visit and make sure no food gets inside the cracked tooth. Make sure to clean the tooth well before coating it using the filling material.
- Keep it clean: Great oral hygiene is always critical, but it's particularly vital if you have a crown that has come out. Rinse your mouth using warm salt water following meals to eliminate debris.
- Be careful when it comes to eating: If you’re suffering from tooth tenderness or pain, try chewing your food on the other side of the mouth.
By following these steps, you can guarantee that you’re not harming it.
When do you need a dental crown?
Dental crown restorations are coverings that fit right over an existing tooth. Dental crowns are used to reinvigorate a tooth with a huge cavity or to safeguard the leftover portion of the enamel from extra damage and help keep your alignment straight. Before getting the tooth ready for a crown, individuals will get a numbing injection to stay comfortable throughout the procedure. As soon as the patient has been numbed, our team will ready the tooth by eradicating all decay. The impacted tooth could be reshaped at a later point to match the height of nearby teeth.
How long can dental crowns last?
It’s important to know that crowns won't last forever. Avoid clenching or grinding your teeth because any trauma could damage your crown. A custom night guard can help protect your crown, as well as your native teeth. In addition, don’t chew on solid objects or foods, such as ice, pens, or certain types of candy. With good oral habits, regular exams, and biannual cleanings, dental crowns can last up to 15 – 20 years.
Learn more about dental crown care in Spring, TX
At Made Ya Smile Rayford, TX, our dental practitioners will examine your tooth to work out the best dental crown repair method. Based on how much of it is damaged, we could fix it with resin. But in some instances, your crown might need to be remolded. In more drastic circumstances, a different crown might be necessary. Reach out to our Spring, TX office today to make an emergency appointment to have your crown fixed.